August 27, 2014
The Independent Judicial Election Qualification Commission (IJEQC) for the Twelfth Judicial District, comprising Bronx County, reviewed candidates for judicial vacancies in that District and published the rating for those candidates.
The criteria for evaluation under Part 150 of the Rules of the Chief Administrative Judge include “professional ability, character, independence and integrity, reputation for fairness and lack of bias, and temperament, including courtesy and patience.” The guidelines and procedures for the Commissions, including the information to be provided by each candidate, are set forth in Appendix A to Part 150.
Each Commission consists of fifteen members, including attorneys and lay people, selected by the Chief Judge of the Court of Appeals, the Presiding Justices of each Appellate Division, the State Bar Association and local bar associations, and represents a cross section of the community in each district.
The Administrative Board authorized the Commissions to rate candidates “Highly Qualified,” as well as “Qualified” or “Not Found Qualified.”
This year, the IJEQC for the Twelfth Judicial District rated candidates running in Bronx County as follows:
- Justice John A. Barone-Justice of the Supreme Court-Highly Qualified
- Judge Lizbeth Gonzalez-Judge of the Civil Court of the City of New York-Qualified
In 2013, the IJEQC rated candidates as follows:
- Fidel E. Gomez, Esq.-Judge of the Civil Court of the City of New York-Qualified
- Justice Doris M. Gonzalez-Justice of the Supreme Court, Bronx County-Qualified
- Armando Montano, Jr., Esq.-Judge of the Civil Court of the City of New York-Qualified
- Fiordaliza A. Rodriguez, Esq.-Judg of the Civil Court of the City of New York-Qualified
- Justice Norma Ruiz-Justice of the Supreme Court, Bronx County-Qualified
In 2012, the IJEQC rated candidates as follows:
- Judge Ruben Franco - Justice of the Supreme Court - Qualified
Upon reconsideration, the Commission rated a candidate seeking judicial offices in Bronx County as follows:
- Justice Larry S. Schachner -Justice of the Supreme Court - Highly Qualified
Candidates found “Highly Qualified” or “Qualified” for election to judicial office are deemed qualified for that office for three years, absent any new information that may have negative effect of his or her qualifications and background, pursuant to Part 150, Appendix A, Section 3.
The members of the IJEQC for the Twelfth Judicial District are William Gallina, Esq., Chair; Daniel Aguirre; Earamichia Brown, Esq., New York State Inspector General’s Office; Christopher DiLorenzo, Esq., DiLorenzo & Rush; Frank V. Kelly, Esq., Law Offices of William A. Gallina, PLLC; Lenore Kramer, Esq., Kramer & Dunleavy, LLP; Donte Mills, Esq., Mills & Edwards, LLP.; Sondra Montes; William K. Peterman, Esq., Corpina, Piergrossi, Klar & Peterman; Kim Ramos, Esq., Mirram Group; Julian S. Sepulveda; Myrna M. Socorro, Esq., Codelia & Socorro; Pablo A. Sosa, Esq., Law Offices of William A. Gallina, PLLC; and Sergio Villaverde, Esq., Law Offices of Sergio Villaverde.
For further information contact Rachell Sirota, Esq., Director, IJEQC at (212) 340-0572.