July 30, 2015
The Independent Judicial Election Qualification Commission (IJEQC) for the Twelfth Judicial District, comprising Bronx County, reviewed candidates for judicial vacancies in that District and published the rating for those candidates.
The criteria for evaluation under Part 150 of the Rules of the Chief Administrative Judge include “professional ability, character, independence and integrity, reputation for fairness and lack of bias, and temperament, including courtesy and patience.” The guidelines and procedures for the Commissions, including the information to be provided by each candidate, are set forth in Appendix A to Part 150.
Each Commission consists of fifteen members, including attorneys and lay people, selected by the Chief Judge of the Court of Appeals, the Presiding Justices of each Appellate Division, the State Bar Association and local bar associations, and represents a cross section of the community in each district.
The Administrative Board authorized the Commissions to rate candidates “Highly Qualified,” as well as “Qualified” or “Not Found Qualified.”
This year, the IJEQC for the Twelfth Judicial District rated candidates running in Bronx County as follows:
- Judge Ben R. Barbato-Justice of the Supreme Court-Qualified; Judge of the Civil Court of the City of New York-Highly Qualified
- Judge Mitchell J. Danziger-Justice of the Supreme Court and Judge of the Civil Court of the City of New York-Qualified
- Judge Lizbeth Gonzalez-Justice of the Supreme Court-Qualified
- Justice Sallie Manzanet-Daniels-Justice of the Supreme Court-Highly Qualified
- Judge Armando Montano, Jr.-Justice of the Supreme Court-Not Found Qualified
- Justice Dianne T. Renwick-Justice of the Supreme Court-Highly Qualified
Last year, the candidates were rated as follows:
- Justice John A. Barone-Justice of the Supreme Court-Highly Qualified
- Judge Lizbeth Gonzalez-Judge of the Civil Court of the City of New York-Qualified
In 2013, the IJEQC rated candidates as follows:
- Fidel E. Gomez, Esq.-Judge of the Civil Court of the City of New York-Qualified
- Justice Doris M. Gonzalez-Justice of the Supreme Court, Bronx County-Qualified
- Armando Montano, Jr., Esq.-Judge of the Civil Court of the City of New York-Qualified
- Fiordaliza A. Rodriguez, Esq.-Judge of the Civil Court of the City of New York-Qualified
- Justice Norma Ruiz-Justice of the Supreme Court, Bronx County-Qualified
Candidates found “Highly Qualified” or “Qualified” for election to judicial office are deemed qualified for that office for three years, absent any new information that may have negative effect of his or her qualifications and background, pursuant to Part 150, Appendix A, Section 3.
The members of the IJEQC for the Twelfth Judicial District are William A. Gallina, Esq., Chair, Law Offices of William A. Gallina, PLLC; Earamichia Brown, Esq., New York State Inspector General’s Office; Christopher DiLorenzo, Esq., DiLorenzo & Rush; Frank V. Kelly, Esq., Law Offices of William A. Gallina, PLLC; Lenore Kramer, Esq., Kramer & Dunleavy, LLP; Donte Mills, Esq., Mills & Edwards, LLP.; William K. Peterman, Esq., Corpina, Piergrossi, Klar & Peterman; Julian S. Sepulveda; Myrna M. Socorro, Esq., Codelia & Socorro; Pablo A. Sosa, Esq., Law Offices of William A. Gallina, PLLC; and Sergio Villaverde, Esq., Law Offices of Sergio Villaverde.
For further information contact Rachell Sirota, Esq., Director, IJEQC at (212) 340-0572.